COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT BY CENTRAL CORRIDOR GAMERS
For the past few years, Central Corridor Gamers has made a positive impact on the Cedar Rapids community in many ways:
- During its funding, we were a member of H.Y.P.E. (Healthy Youth Promotion Effort)—the positive youth development division of ASAC (Area Substance Abuse Council). ASAC is currently a localized division of The United Way of East Central Iowa.
- Our promotional efforts for H.Y.P.E. were the driving force for many of our large-scale summer events.
- During the summer of 2007, members of our group volunteered for the Freedom Festival WinWinWin program to raise money for the American Cancer Society in the name of Shawn Weeks after he defeated Colon Cancer.
- We volunteered a great deal of time and resources immediately following the flood of 2008 to renovate our venue, Trinity United Methodist Church.
- We volunteered time and resources to design and paint an outdoor mural for the children's playground at Trinity United Methodist Daycare.
VIEW PHOTOS HERE.
- Initiated non-perishable food drive for Linn County Food Bank.
- Organized and hosted Thanksgiving dinner for members of Central Corridor Gamers and their families.
- Participation in the Walk for Community to raise awareness for crime prevention in Southeast Cedar Rapids' troubled neighborhoods.
- Initiated the Costumes for Kids charity drive which brought in Halloween costumes and distributed them to less fortunate children in our community.
In addition, those who received donations were asked to decorate pumpkins so that they could be given to the pediatrics wing at Mercy Hospital here in Cedar Rapids. Money was also raised after our distribution event and was spent on costume items for next year's distribution event.
- Games for Troops is our latest charity initiative. Find out more about it by clicking HERE.
We currently provide assistance to members of our community by providing the following services:
- Job search and application assistance
- Help with school work
- Parenting advice
- Financial advice
- Scholarship application assistance and referrals